[UbuntuWomen] Introduction

Bill Day williamson.day at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 12:16:02 UTC 2011

I joined this list after reading Jared Spurbecks' article about efforts to
promote the involvement of women in Free Software.  http://yhoo.it/fgOc5H
Since the list encourages introductions,  I am offering one.  My particular
interest stems from the fact that I am not only an Ubuntu user (although not
a programmer) but also the father of two little girls, 5 and 7, who are very
interested in their computers.  Unfortunately, their early interest in
Ubuntu has cooled a bit since they have discovered a) proprietary software
offers more games, and b) many web-based sites for kids are heavily
dependent on ActiveX, which is not available on Ubuntu.  So I am hoping to
pick up some ideas on making Free Software more interesting to the girls, as
well as giving back what I can.

Cheers,

Bill

--