[UbuntuWomen] Improving Diversity at UDS

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Sat Sep 18 01:52:58 UTC 2010

Op vrijdag 17-09-2010 om 18:06 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Alan Bell:
> Another obvious influence on diversity is where in the world UDS is
> held. One in Asia or Africa would I think help diversity and make it
> more of a global event than a Western event.

And if we ever want to take UDS to Asia, I'm sure Hong Phuc Dang would
be *more* than happy to organise it in Vietnam.

She organised GNOME.Asia Summit in 2009, organises FOSS Asia there this
year, and was one of the contenders for LGM 2011 next year (but it got
appointed to Montreal for practical reasons[*]).  I think Akkana saw her
at LGM 2010 in Brussels[**] too, and can confirm it would be very
difficult to find a more *enthousiastic* organiser ever...  ;)
(Probably Steve Conklin or Susan Spencer can tell you about her too, or
Stani or Femke or Andy Fitzsimon (who designed the original "Ubuntu
Title" font) or any of the other people who were there...)

[*] unfortunately, "practical reasons" is why conferences like LGM & UDS
are most often organised in Western Europe or Northern America...

[**] You can find her talk there here:
http://river-valley.tv/how-to-get-contributors-to-your-freelibreopen-source-project-from-vietnam-and-asia/

--
Jan Claeys