[UbuntuWomen] Improving Diversity at UDS

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 16 22:35:52 BST 2010

Hi Everyone,

As many of you will know, the Ubuntu Developer Summit is our seminal
Ubuntu event in which we define the focus and plans for our up-coming
version of Ubuntu. The event pulls together Canonical engineers,
community members, partners, ISVs, upstreams and more into an
environment focused on discussion and planning. My team are heavily
involved in planning the event.

One thing which we have always prided ourselves on is the sheer range of
personalities and experience that comes to the event, and Canonical has
supported this strongly by providing travel and accommodation for many
community members to attend. While we often get diversity in experience
though, we think we can do better in achieving better diversity in
people, of which encouraging more women is one key elements in that
diversity.

I wanted to reach out because the Ubuntu Women project has developed and
distilled some great experience and knowledge in improving diversity,
and I wanted to ask for your thoughts and opinions in how we encourage
better diversity and making UDS a more attractive and encouraging event
for different demographics of people.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

    Jono

--