[UbuntuWomen] Debian Women IRC Training Sessions begins

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 16 20:24:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Lise Chevalier <liche7166 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am very new to your group & a novice at Ubuntu. When you plan this Debian
> session series of IRC???? is it on line? when you say 20.00 hrs UTC.What
> time is that...
>
> What does it mean? I am located in Vancouver Canada. & will be working at
> 20:00 hrs Pacific time.Will I have access to this educative session in
> anyway? Sorry about my complete ignorance...Joining to your group was one of
> the reason in order to raise the Bar !!!!!

No problem! The time, translated into a bunch of time zones:

http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=11&day=18&year=2010&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

So in Vancouver that's noon on Thursday.

These classes are online, in a text-based chat. There are a couple of
guides that can help you connect to IRC, this screencast shows a way
to do it via a default ubuntu install:

http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/2010/11/08/HowToConnectIRC

The instructions here have you connect to "Freenode" but you'll want
to connect to "OFTC" instead and the channel you want to join is
#debian-women

I also wrote this a couple years ago, but it's in desperate need of a
rewrite: http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Courses/IRC/XChatHowTo

Again, this shows how to connect to "Freenode" but for these classes
you'll want to connect to "OFTC" instead.

If you still have trouble, please don't hesitate email or to use this
link to join us in #ubuntu-women and someone can help you out:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ubuntu-women

Just put in your nickname, fill in the captcha and hit "connect" -
this will put you in the #ubuntu-women chat room where you can start
talking to us :)

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com