[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu Women Blog Brainstorm

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 27 03:33:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 6:59 AM, etali <etali at myth-games.com> wrote:
> My vote goes for trying canonical first, to see if they are more
> reponsive these days.
>
> A third party host would be the quickest way to get set up, but I think
> it sends out the wrong signals.  There's nothing wrong with free hosts
> for personal use, but it looks unprofessional to me for an organisation
> to be using a freebie host.  I admit it's snobbery, but it's worth
> thinking about the signals the URL sends.

It's worth considering that blogspot (and I think wordpress.com) but
allow you to point real subdomains at their free account offerings. So
if we made a site at either of these we could easily ask canonical to
point blog.ubuntu-women.org at it and use that rather than some
whatever.blogspot.com or wordpress.com address.

I do lean toward being snobby about hosting things ourselves or
managing via canonical hosted drupal (after all, this is a part of a
technical project, I sometimes wince when tech groups use yahoo groups
for a mailing list ;)). But I'm still open to all options.

> I'd love to help out with this any way I can.

Thanks Lesley!

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com