[UbuntuWomen] International Women's Day -- Competition!

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Mon Jan 11 22:01:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 12:26 -0500, vid wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 07:54, Melissa Draper <melissa at meldraweb.com> wrote:
> >
> > It's not over yet though. There are still more things that need sorting
> > out! We are still without a way to allow everyone to review the stories
> > for the community choice prize. This needs to be accessible and fair --
> > preferably a way that doesn't unfairly benefit one entry over the other.
> > Does anyone have an idea of how we can do this?
>
> Instead of emailing the stories, why not ask all the participants to
> use their UW-wiki-page to post their story. That would kill the
> suspense of reading their entries beforehand, but its the most open
> way I can think of.

That's a knowledge hurdle. I know that I have issues with the wiki some
days. A complete newbie is going to as well, but may not be able to get
past that. Email was the option that required the least technical
knowledge.

This also doesn't answer how we'll manage the voting in a way that
doesn't favour any story by, for example, being the first in a list and
hence read by/voted on/recommended by more than the story last in a
list.

An incremental reveal (which having contestants post on the wiki would
be) is going to benefit one over the other in a *big* way. This isn't
first in, best dressed.

> > We also need some way to present all these stories once they've been
> > collected and voted. The winners will be showcased, but *all* the
> > stories we are collecting will be published. What are your suggestions
> > for this?
>
> The winner's story gets featured on the Fridge. Would that work?

For the winner showcasing, yeah. I am hoping to showcase the winners
much more than just like that, though!

Still doesn't answer how we're going to publish *ALL* the stories we are
collecting.

We have server space to host html and a wiki (which would be prone to
being tampered with by trolls, that'd be rather discouraging :-/). We're
looking for ways we can display every story we collect, not just the
winners.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming.

--
Melissa Draper