[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu-women IRC channel discussion

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 6 17:54:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:
> Fine, that is useful.  But I don't understand why that benefit needs
> to be tied to having all logs posted publically somewhere where
> Google and other search engines will index them and everything we
> say will be searchable by the world for the rest of our lives.

The consideration is where we draw the line, currently "No Logging"
means that there is a trust within the team that logs (outside of
meetings, as meetings are explicitly logged) will not be shared with
3rd parties, if logs are shared - even sections of them, it breaches
this trust.

So the question is how to write rules around this. Do we just make
everything public? Or do we require any shared log snippits be
approved by all parties involved in the discussion? Or do we say that
team members are allowed to share logs, but only to a certain
to-be-defined set of criteria? Perhaps we provide a private repository
where logs are stored and only share the password for accessing these
to team members? How do we define "team members"?

> If the purpose of the channel is deemed to be discussion of official
> business of the U-W project, then the TV panel may be more appropriate.
> But I'd miss the friendly coffee room discussions.

You put your finger on the crux of the issue.

We are both a project channel and a social channel that serves the
goals of the project through this socialization (being social there
has helped a lot of women become more comfortable with being social
elsewhere in the project). The project discussion is important and
probably should be shared, but one can argue that socialization
probably shouldn't be.

Cheers.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2