[UbuntuWomen] ubuntu-women IRC channel to become a Ubuntu core channel - why?

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 11:02:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:08 AM, || स्वक्ष || <vid at svaksha.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 12:45, Elizabeth Krumbach <lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>> What is the rationale behind that request
>>
>> The IRCCouncil and several core ops within the Ubuntu namespace have
>> been on the access list for years and we still add new ones regularly
>> to help with troll control. This wasn't really a decision that we've
>> discussed formally with the whole team, but rather a policy that we've
>> had in place to keep the environment troll-free by giving trusted
>> folks within the community the ability to help when none of our
>> members are around (this does still happen sometimes). As a core
>> channel we'd be able to have all the core ops added to help
>> automatically so we won't keep having to add them manually.
>
> While the above is true.... we still need to
> #0. define and refine the processes within UW, and
> #1. discuss why UW needs to be a part of the core Ubuntu community.
>
> #0 could be achieved by keeping the list in the loop and iirc this was
> not even discussed on irc #ubuntu-women after a request was added on
> 18 Jan 2010.  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/IrcCouncil/MeetingAgenda
>
> As for trolls on #ubuntu-women, lets start by handing out op status to
> more long-time UW members. yes, i'm volunteering and also proposing
> the following nicks for ops on irc : Akk, Shiny, Sharrow, Mamarok,
> Valorie, MichelleQ. These were the nicks I recognize definitively as
> female, so apologies for unintentionally missing out any names/nicks.
> Please feel free to self-nominate yourself here or in a separate
> thread. If you are in a different timezone than the rest of us, we
> definitely need your help.
>
> thanks,
> --
> || vid | http://svaksha.com ||

While I would be happy to volunteer to op (I'm an op on Linuxchix, and
also on #amarok on freenode), my time on IRC is limited right now,
while my dad is in rehab with his new hip after he broke it shortly
before Xmas. I'd also be interested in a short tutorial about opping
on Freenode. I understand there are a few special tools and
procedures, but googling around for that information didn't yield me
much information once I was asked to op in #amarok last month.

All the best,

Valorie

--
New! http://genealogy-uki.linkpendium.com/
Facebook, Twitter, Identi.ca, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez .