[UbuntuWomen] Intro of Sorts

Belinda Lopez belinda.lopez at canonical.com
Thu Feb 4 22:20:22 UTC 2010

Hi MichelleQ,
  great to see you on this list.  By coincidence I just got off the
phone with the leader of the http://www.kidsoncomputers.org/ project.
It sounds very similar to what your group is doing as they are just
getting started placing computers in schools using all open source software.

I look forward to meeting you at SCALE and maybe your group can share
some of your experience or perhaps even collaborate with this other
group on any common areas.

cheers,

Dinda

Michelle Hall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Either I am sadly mistaken, or I've never joined the mailing list,
> although I swear I've done this before.
>
> I suppose, then, this is my formal introduction.
>
> I'm Michelle Hall, MichelleQ for those of you in IRC,and I don't have a
> lot to tell you about myself.  I'm an Ubuntu member, and have been for
> all of six weeks; I use the netbook remix on my netbook.
>
> I'm married to another member, mhall119, and we have 2 children.
> Michael created his own variant distribution, Qimo 4 Kids, and we run a
> charity that gives computers to children at need.  In the past 12
> months, we've placed approximately 50 computers, and are gearing up to
> double our output this year.  We have associates in, at last count, 14
> countries giving Qimo computers to children, and guesstimate that we're
> nearing 50k computers across the globe.  It's been an amazing 18 months!
>
> I'm not what one would call a techie.  My background is in English
> Literature, and I'm a stay-at-home-mom for a living.  I love to cook, as
> the Florida loco will attest, and... well, that pretty much is it.
>
> See y'all around!!
>
> Michelle

Training Project Manager
Canonical