[UbuntuWomen] UW list and attachments.

स्वक्ष vid at svaksha.com
Mon Apr 5 04:12:52 UTC 2010

Hello Folks,

I am being forced to bring up this issued to the mailing list after a
very long conversation on IRC which I found very disturbing as it took
on an accusatory tone despite me spending more than an hour on an
early Monday morning clarifying why attachments should not be sent to
mailing lists.

Backgrounder and irc logs:
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/04/04/%23ubuntu-women-project.html
((Discussion period : 21:33 UTC in the logs).
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/04/05/%23ubuntu-women-project.html
(Discussion period : 02:49 to 03:57 UTC in the logs).

Yesterday night on IRC, I was pinged that Amber's mail was in
moderation and my response to her was in approx. 5 hours and 20 min,
given the timezones and real-life situations we all have. She had also
mailed me off-list where I said the same thing (no large files, link
them to the mails instead).

In the above IRC discussion you will note that I have explained
repeatedly that :  Attachments are frowned upon on mailing lists and
never approved beyond a size limit so please upload it on the UW wiki
(or any other server) and include a link in your emails to the list.
This reasoning was then used to ask for admin privs on the list and I
explained that if it was to approve attachments to the list then its
moot --Sending large files to all list members is not a good idea and
its annoying to people (for various reasons). I was told that that is
not the case in some other lists.
So here is my query to the list members : Do you want to receive
attachments from the UW list? Please vote on this as its just a case
of changing default MM behaviour. Its not a case of me controlling the
list (which I was accused of repeatedly) because I refused to support
approving attachments to the list and changing list admins on the
basis of UW leader election cycles. This does not happen in any linux
community, let alone on any ubuntu list that i know of. Correct me if
i am wrong please.

The accusation from "approve mails with attachments" to "didnt give
elected UW leader list admin status" is a logical fallacy at best.
Fwiw, the standard MM installation has Maximum length 40 kilobytes
(KB) for each message and this is common to all Linux-projects, not UW
alone. It has nothing whatsoever to do with UW leadership (as it was
being made out). That is why I think its important to ask if the list
members wish to receive attachments at all and based on the responses,
MM will be changed (or not). My personal choice is -1, no attachments
or large files to the list.

Regarding the adding UW list admins, we have had calls on the list
earlier and the last time around too there were enough logical
fallacies used. Here are some archives for perusal:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2009-June/001976.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2009-June/001992.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2009-June/002019.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2009-June/002008.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2009-June/002006.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2009-June/002024.html

....are just some. The June2009 archives are here:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2009-June/thread.html

Meeting Agenda:  I was told that it would be added to the agenda.
Regarding the election of list admins, before that is added to the
agenda, Please also explain how being a list admin ties up with
encouraging and increasing women in Ubuntu? I am surprised that a
non-issue (approving bulk attachments) to the list has become a "not
supporting the UW leader issue".  Hopefully having a leader(s) for the
team does not translate into such baseless accusations in future.
Anyway, while on it can someone clarify if they are dissatisfied with
the current admins and *why*.  Has the response time been slow (or not
at all). Feel free to discuss it here.

Finally, I must mention that, today, I was feeling attacked and that
my words were being deliberately twisted in this IRC discussion and I
am not sure why but feel free to read the logs and judge for
yourselves. However, it sure left a bad taste and somewhere there
seems to be a diversion from the UW goal -- increasing women
contributors in Ubuntu.

Thanks,
vid || http://svaksha.com