[UbuntuWomen] Mentoring in Open Source Communities: What Works? What Doesn't?

Esther Schindler esther at bitranch.com
Tue Sep 8 18:50:51 UTC 2009

This note, written by Helen a few weeks ago, made me smile. It's
EXACTLY what I want to get at in a feature article I'm writing -- and
in which I think Ubuntu women could help.

On Aug 15, 2009, at 7:28 AM, Helen McCall wrote:
> I'm looking for a mentor to help me with producing fully compliant
> Gnome
> Help files and integrate them with python applications, and mentor
> me on
> producing fully compliant Ubuntu .deb packages.
>
> Ultimately mentoring me to become a MOTU hopefully.
>
> I am preparing the Help Manual for OpenShot, and I also want to
> produce
> a Ubuntu .deb package for ccPublisher (the Creative Commons
> publisher),
> and get these accepted into Ubuntu.
>
> Can anyone offer to mentor me?

Open source offers amazing opportunities. There are almost no barriers
to entry. If you want to try creating a new-to-you kind of
application, or to learn how to write bright-shiny documentation, or
to use the latest technology that your Day Job doesn't give you access
to -- you can just barrel right in with an open source project and get
involved. Once you become proficient (or demonstrate that you already
are), you can apply those skills in the next phase of your career.
Even better, you can choose which community you want to be a part of,
and find a comfortable culture where your contributions matter.

However, because open source is so personally driven and self-
motivated, there aren't always a lot of opportunities to consciously
improve your skills -- except on your own. While that's certainly
valuable, it relies on you recognizing what needs improvement and then
knowing what to do about it. In a regular office, you might be lucky
enough to work with someone who'll take you under her wing, and give
you specific advice about how to improve your code. Or someone senior
to you will let you talk his ear off about the hard choices you have
to make, and suggest solutions you didn't think of. The distinction
I'm making here is between "learn on your own" (such as examining the
changes others make to the code you contributed) and somebody offering
specific, individual advice (e.g. "It might run faster if you did
THIS..."), particularly in an ongoing personal relationship.

Many open source communities do actual mentoring (even if they don't
think of it with that label); others don't. Some make a concerted
effort to connect newbies with more experienced people. They provide
opportunities for people to work together in smaller teams (not just a
gang hanging out in an IRC channel, however useful that is), such as
in sprints and code-a-thons. (Tops on the list of "encourage
mentorship" is, of course, the Google Summer of Code. But I know there
are other less-public endeavors; the existence of ubuntu-women
probably fills that role, too.)

For a feature article at ITWorld.com, I want to interview people from
several open source communities about the mentoring experiences. I
want to hear see what they do right, and how they go about encouraging
mentoring relationships. I'd also like to hear from open source
participants who have yearned for a bit more one-on-one attention...
and what (if anything) they've done about it.

My goal here is to explore what's involved in a successful mentoring
effort, and also find out what _doesn't_ work. I like to think that
this can help all sorts of open source communities that want to
attract more participants.

Think you can help? Here's some of the questions you could address
(ideally by e-mail):

* What have been your mentoring experiences in open source
communities? How well or how poorly have they worked? Why do you have
that opinion?
* If you developed mentoring relationships in an open source
community, how did they come about? Was there a deliberate effort to
connect people (how did that work?) or did it evolve on its own (how
did it happen?)?
* What did you learn? What did you hope to learn?
* Knowing what you do now, what would you do differently?
* What advice would you give to open source communities in regard to
mentoring?
* I'm also particularly interested in hearing from people in
communities where mentoring doesn't exist or where it doesn't come as
naturally -- opportunities may exist, but they're harder to find.

Be sure to identify:
* the project(s) you're involved in. Include the URL for the project
if you like, as well as how you contribute (I write code, or I've led
locally-run code-a-thons, etc.)
* your name, role/title, and company in the way you prefer me to refer
to you ("Esther Schindler, a programmer at the Groovy Corporation, and
also a frequent contributor to the Blahblah open source project").

I'll accept input on this topic until Monday, September 14th. After
that I have to write the article. :-)

Esther Schindler
freelance writer (currently on assignment for ITWorld.com -- where I
also have an open source blog called Great Wide Open http://www.itworld.com/blog/4264
  )