[UbuntuWomen] Wiki Lockdown :(

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 24 17:37:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach <lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm sorry to report that our wiki over at wiki.ubuntu-women.org has
> been locked down to restrict edits until further notice. If you have
> an account, you can still edit the main pages but you will not be able
> to create new ones. Please contact myself or Susana[0] with your wiki
> name to be granted access to create new pages (anyone can have access,
> please ask!), or find an existing page you need to edit but I haven't
> granted authenticated access to (I got most of them, but I'm sure I
> missed some).
>
> The reasoning behind this lockdown is an overwhelming amount of Spam,
> which is now up to almost 50 pages of junk we need to delete per day.
> Susana and I have been working hard over the past couple months to
> keep it under control by deleting it and working with Canonical to
> blacklist IP addresses but it's costing us a considerable amount of
> time that neither of us can devote to it.
>
> Canonical has assured us that they plan on upgrading the wiki software
> and implementing OpenID authentication and further Spam preventative
> measures but this needs to be done server-wide and they are not ready
> for this upgrade right now. This lockdown was the only advice they
> could offer at this point.
>
> We might consider moving back to wiki.ubuntu.com if this stretches on
> for too long, but this is something that we'll have to discuss.

Almost 4 months later and our wiki is still locked down.

This is becoming a problem for the project so at our last IRC meeting
and at the Ubuntu Developer Summit we discussed the issue and decided
to move it back to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomen

Lockdown and spam issues aside, this move will help us by:

 * Making it easier to do Team Reports - we can now use the wiki
Include function all other teams do!
 * No more juggling wiki syntax - the old UW wiki was an older
moinmoin version, meaning different syntax than the official wiki.u.c
wiki
 * Higher visibility - we'll now be searchable by all of wiki.u.c
rather than being in our own space!

I've gone ahead and started this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomen is now a copy of
http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/

We already have a few volunteers pitching in with this, but we could
always use more as this is going to be a messy and fairly tedious
process.

Basic steps for migrating content:

1. Identify old page on wiki.ubuntu-women.org, example:
http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Profiles
2. Go to "More Actions" dropdown menu and select "Raw Text"
3. Create a page (this is done by navigating to an empty page) on
wiki.ubuntu.com with the same name, example:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomen/Profiles
4. Copy "Raw Text" into this new page, and hit "Preview"
5. What a mess! Clean up syntax and links as needed, then save.
6. Leave a note at the top of the old wiki page you migrating saying
you've migrated content to the new wiki (this will help us keep our
edits coordinated AND let people know the new address that's now being
updated, so they don't end up reading stale content).

This is a very rough outline of the steps so I'm sure everyone
volunteering will be needing more details, so please drop by
#ubuntu-women on irc.freenode.net, reply to this thread, or email me
directly if you have any questions. If you're familiar with wikis
you're welcome to simply jump in and get started.

Cheers,

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com