[UbuntuWomen] New version

VidA vid at svaksha.com
Thu May 14 03:37:27 BST 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 22:21, Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:
> A. Malaika Sharp writes:
>> I am a bit reluctant to upgrade to a newer version and experience
>> problems in areas that are working fine now.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I've had several problems with Jaunty, while Intrepid is pretty
> solid.

Upgraded some months before Jaunty was released but periodically (once
in 3 releases) I do a clean install on some machines instead of an
upgrade.

> On my disks, I make several relatively small partitions, maybe
> 15G or so (pause to laugh about what I would have thought ten or
> even five years ago if someone told me I'd be referring to 15G
> as "small"), one small shared /boot partition, a swap partition,
> and use the rest of the disk for /home or other shared data.

If you have a fairly large HDD you could also have a single /home
shared between more than two OS's (except Windows ofcourse:)) but make
sure the UID and GID is the same, including login id's. The drawback
is if your system disk crashes you lose all the data if you dont have
a backup of /home.

--
thanks
|| vid || http://www.svaksha.com ||