[UbuntuWomen] Hi, I'm the new kid | Can technology be "more female"?

Miriam Ruiz little.miry at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 09:43:37 BST 2009

2009/4/26 Caroline Ford <caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com>:
> I think there is a male bonding thing which involves hostility to the
> outsiders whether they be non geeks, end users or women. Casual sexism
> turned into abuse when I stood up for myself.

I have often experienced that too in most of the Free Software / Open
Source communities I am. Last time they gave me a really hard time for
complaining in Debian [1] and I haven't totally recovered emotionally
from that.

[1] http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22320/1090/

> We have a code of conduct but I'm not aware of anyone ever being
> 'done' for breaches of it with reference to minorities. Freedom of
> speech arguments always seem to win out. We must be on the side of the
> hated political correctness!

I don't think it will ever be enouraged, to be honest. At least there
is a CoC in Ubuntu, we don't have any in Debian.

Greetings,
Miry