[UbuntuWomen] Thanks for the warm welcome.

Leigh Honeywell leigh at hypatia.ca
Wed Apr 15 15:36:47 UTC 2009

Welcome too, Diana!

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:23:32AM -0500, Diana Goodavage wrote:

> Not saying I don't care how the kernel works. (BTW, what's a kernel anyway?

The "good parts" version of what a kernel is:  it's the software which
connects the applications you use (think Firefox, Pidgin, etc) to the
hardware of your machine (think CPU, Memory, keyboard, etc).

> But, I digress LOL) Just that I don't have the time to figure it all out
> right now. I really would like to learn it all eventually, but it's going to
> take a while, and in the meantime . . .
>
> Which, actually, brings me right to my next question:
>
> Are there any free or cheap resources where I could go to learn more?
> Online, text, whatever . . .

There are a couple of good books on the topic: "Ubuntu for Non-Geeks"
from No Starch Press, and the "Official Ubuntu Book" is in it's third
edition.  That's just if you like dead trees though.  I find it's way
more fun to learn with others - hop on the ubuntu forums or our IRC
channel (#ubuntu-women on freenode, instructions for accessing are here:
http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Courses/IRC/ ).  The best way to learn is
to help others, I think anyway!

Hope that helps, and feel free to chat me up on IRC, my username is
hypa7ia there :)

-Leigh