[UbuntuWomen] Hello :)

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 5 20:53:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Liz <liz at debian.co.nz> wrote:
> Unsure how the ubuntu-women channel is, only been there a couple of
> times, though everyone seems extremely friendly :)

I want to encourage anyone who has had trouble with IRC in the past to
join #ubuntu-women and say hello. We specifically try to be easy on
new folks and help ease people into the main Ubuntu channels - and
it's also a great place to say "Hey, someone said $this in another
channel, how should I react?" There are a lot of misunderstandings on
IRC, and problems can escalate very quickly, so it's useful to have
others to bounce things off of, I've been using IRC for a decade now
and even I need some perspective sometimes.

> Had a quick google and found some possibly useful IRC guides.
> http://www.linux.com/feature/61439 <- this is probably the most useful
> http://www.irchelp.org/
> http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/faq.html
> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/47221

And I wrote one a while back specifically for getting on #ubuntu-women
on freenode:

http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Courses/IRC/

(even includes an etiquette section, which is useful all over IRC)

Cheers,

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com