[UbuntuWomen] Hello :)

Liz liz at debian.co.nz
Wed Nov 5 20:46:37 UTC 2008

Rachel Saunders wrote:
> Hi Liz,
> Great to hear from the NZ women!!
> I am so new to all this I am green around the gills.  Even IRC has
> been a very scary adventure.  Is there a nice, friendly user guide for
> IRC somewhere?  I followed the instructions to the letter while on IRC
> and seemed to miss out on the implied stuff that "everyone just knows" 8)
Heh Sorry im probably not the best to tell you, ive been online on IRC
for about 12 years at least, I think a lot of it is just a educating!

For the record though, most Linux channels dont tolerate any sort of
idiots (they get a lot). They will help you help yourself , ie give you
a url to help you configure something rather than tell you how to do it.
Its the best way to learn.
Unsure how the ubuntu-women channel is, only been there a couple of
times, though everyone seems extremely friendly :)

Had a quick google and found some possibly useful IRC guides.
http://www.linux.com/feature/61439 <- this is probably the most useful
http://www.irchelp.org/
http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/faq.html
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/47221