[UbuntuWomen] Latest version

Lesley King lesley.king at freeuk.com
Sun May 4 20:22:32 BST 2008

Hi Malaika!

The following suggestion is from my techie husband!

On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 09:41 -0400, Malaika Sharp wrote:
> Greetings to everyone,
>
> Have a quick question. I received a notice indicating that the latest
> version of Ubuntu was available for download. The last time that I
> upgraded, I had problems with the permissions. I could not save, modify,
> create folders, etc. after. It took several minutes (a couple of
> frustrating hours) to realize that it was a permissions issue and to
> relate it back to the upgrade that I had just completed.
>
> Does anyone know if there is anyway to ensure that I don't have that
> same problem if I choose to upgrade to this latest version?

In a terminal:

ls -alR | awk '{ print $1 " " $8  }' > ~/file_permissions_before.txt

then do the upgrade, and again in a terminal do:

ls -alR | awk '{ print $1 " " $8  }' > ~/file_permissions_after.txt
sudo apt-get install meld
meld ~/file_permissions_before.txt ~/file_permissions_after.txt

meld is a tool that will show the differences of the file permissions
(in the 1st column) for the files named in the 2nd column.

I upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy Heron with few problems.  Good luck!

Lesley