[UbuntuWomen] Gender and email [was: Free Ego :)

Ireene-Sointu ireenesointu at phonecoop.coop
Thu May 1 17:25:40 UTC 2008

Obviously, gender is a part of our personality, and always will be even
when we finally get a society where gender is not a deciding factor on
issues that do not require it to be so. I think in our present society
it is impossible to say how important it is to us as we, I think most of
us anyway, have been brought up with it as a deciding factor. Our lives
and relationships are many faceted and we interact differently with
different people and in different situations. Our gender is one factor
among many and will be declared as and when a situation and  a
relationship so demands.  Our gender will always be an influence in our
lives but I think it is not necessary and not always good to make it the
factor of the most importance however fundamental it is to our
personality. Particularly in the present society where we tend to be so
divided and divisive it is more important to emphasize our common humanity.

I think an important thing on the way to getting a society where we all
can freely, as freely as possible within the society of many different
people,  develop to our full potential is to try and eliminate the
aspects of forcing people to be what they clearly are not. I think one
way to do that is to make gender specific areas not so very specific.
That is allow girls to be loud and forceful and boys to be gentle and
caring. Allow boys to wear flowery jumpers and girls to shave their
hair. Allow girls to become computer experts and boys to cook meals at
home and do all the cleaning. So people are free to choose their own way
when all ways are open to them regardless of their gender. I do not
think this is denying a person's gender, but actually opening up
possibilities to be fully whatever the person is.