[UbuntuWomen] LugRadio Live in SF

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Wed Mar 12 04:04:36 UTC 2008

James Westby wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 23:20 -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
>> Sadly, "Please note - only those people who actually attend LugRadio
>> Live USA 2008 will count as referrals and all names must have a matching
>> ticket - no trying to stooge the system folks."
>
> Damn, always one step ahead.

Indeed!!

>> Or perhaps you're just more aware of it now? Sometimes I notice things
>> more when people talk about it. Or perhaps it's just an extension of the
>> Redhead Cluster Phenomenon: http://fawny.org/rhcp/
>
> Perhaps I am just more aware of it, but I thought there was something
> about the last two weeks. I wish I had kept references to everything.
> The second theory would seem to fit as well, though if I am a readhead
> does that make it more or less likely?

I had a brief stint as a redhead. I met more redheads during this time
than I do now (back to a vaguely natural blondish-brunette).... I tried
using this logic with Joe ("Redheads are everywhere, what do you mean
there's a cluster phenomenon?!" "That's because you're a redhead!") I
have come to see the wisdom of his observations.

>> Interesting... can you tell if this energy is part of the five-a-day
>> campaign?
>
> I was participating mainly due to the campaign, but the women I noticed
> were reporting bugs. I don't know if this was because they thought there
> was more chance of them being looked at. In this case though I'm sure
> it's just because I started looking somewhere new.

Hrm. Assuming this is in launchpad... do you get karma points for
identifying a bug? Are these "high point" participants?

> There is one woman doing fantastic work in the 5-a-day campaign though,
> Caroline Ford, she is currently in the top 10 triagers for the whole
> thing, and helps others in the IRC channel with their problems. Go
> Caroline!

YAY!

>> I wonder if these women are like many others: they have time to throw
>> some energy at bugs, but not to participate in an ongoing way with the
>> community? In my experience it takes more time to participate in a
>> community than it does to debug code. It may also be a question of
>> choosing /which/ community to participate in. The upstream community?
>> The general masses? The LoCo team? etc! It can all be a bit
>> overwhelming... I'm glad to hear that you are noticing more women
>> getting involved though!
>
> I think these small focused projects could help many people to find a
> way in. I think in the 5-a-day case some people are still put off
> as they think that they can't just get stuck in and do things, when
> in reality with a bit of common sense you can just do that.

How would they have found out about the 5-a-day if they aren't also at
least peripherally aware of the community?

regards,
emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin, B.Sc.