[UbuntuWomen] LugRadio Live in SF

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Wed Mar 12 03:40:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 23:20 -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Sadly, "Please note - only those people who actually attend LugRadio
> Live USA 2008 will count as referrals and all names must have a matching
> ticket - no trying to stooge the system folks."

Damn, always one step ahead.

> Or perhaps you're just more aware of it now? Sometimes I notice things
> more when people talk about it. Or perhaps it's just an extension of the
> Redhead Cluster Phenomenon: http://fawny.org/rhcp/

Perhaps I am just more aware of it, but I thought there was something
about the last two weeks. I wish I had kept references to everything.
The second theory would seem to fit as well, though if I am a readhead
does that make it more or less likely?

> Interesting... can you tell if this energy is part of the five-a-day
> campaign?

I was participating mainly due to the campaign, but the women I noticed
were reporting bugs. I don't know if this was because they thought there
was more chance of them being looked at. In this case though I'm sure
it's just because I started looking somewhere new.

There is one woman doing fantastic work in the 5-a-day campaign though,
Caroline Ford, she is currently in the top 10 triagers for the whole
thing, and helps others in the IRC channel with their problems. Go
Caroline!

> I wonder if these women are like many others: they have time to throw
> some energy at bugs, but not to participate in an ongoing way with the
> community? In my experience it takes more time to participate in a
> community than it does to debug code. It may also be a question of
> choosing /which/ community to participate in. The upstream community?
> The general masses? The LoCo team? etc! It can all be a bit
> overwhelming... I'm glad to hear that you are noticing more women
> getting involved though!

I think these small focused projects could help many people to find a
way in. I think in the 5-a-day case some people are still put off
as they think that they can't just get stuck in and do things, when
in reality with a bit of common sense you can just do that.

Thanks,

James