[UbuntuWomen] LugRadio Live in SF

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Wed Mar 12 02:40:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 22:08 -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> It was all fun and games until LugRadio Live offered up an EEE PC to the
> person who gets the most people to pre-register for their San Francisco
> conference. Now... it's not fun and games. Now it's flat out
> competition! If you are going, please tell 'em Emma Hogbin sent you!!
>
> April 12-13. In San Fran. It's going to be awesome!
>
> http://lugradio.org/live/USA2008/register

Hmmm, $10 to register, $400 for an EeePC, do you think that 39 extra
people who aren't able to come registering using your name would tip
the balance in your favour.

> It'd be lovely to see you ALL there, but I understand it's a bit far for
> some of you...
>
> regards,
> emma
> PS James: I'm presenting at LRL UK as well. Hopefully you'll make it up
> for that one!

Definitely, your talk sounds fantastic.

I don't know if everyone has seen the new Ubuntu-UK podcast.

http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/

It includes an interview with Becky Hogge of the Open Rights Group,
who sounds really knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and is part of
an organisation doing great work.

Is it just me, or have their been several women stepping (or
perhaps being pushed) in to the spotlight over the last couple
of weeks?

Also, I've been doing some bug triage recently, and have noticed
a number of typically female names cropping up. Are there a large
number of women contributing in these sorts of ways but staying
away from the mailing lists etc. that I am more familiar with?
The number is still less than 5-10% unfortunately, but I find
it is much more close to zero in other places.

Thanks,

James