[UbuntuWomen] Greetings

malaikasharp at comcast.net malaikasharp at comcast.net
Mon Mar 10 04:55:54 GMT 2008

Hello everyone,

I am very excited. I just completed installing Ubuntu 7.10 to my desktop. I am now ms free! yeah.

I first announced several months ago that I had installed the Feisty version on my laptop. I was happy then to have finally returned to open source but was still not satisfied because I still had ms on the desktop. I had not found a suitable replacement for publisher. I do a fair amount of desk top publishing for my business and was worried that I would not be able to do some of the things that needed to get done.

Over the past several months, I have been spending time with Scribus, as well as re-doing as many documents in the open office format (re-doing since .pub files can not be converted), and creating others in scribus.

Due to a strange thing happening with msVISTA, which rendered the programs that I was using unusable, plus nuked my ability to access the internet, I installed Ubuntu on the desktop.

I am so happy. Just wanted to share with people who I know understand.

The installation went relatively well. I had some problems with the onboard NIC, so I put an old card in one of the slots. I still had problems with the configuration and getting the Network Tools/Manager to do their thing. Finally, after checking and rechecking everything, I restarted the modem (comcast) and internet success.

So much for rambling,

Keep up the good work and the encouragement. While I don't post often, I read everything that I receive in my inbox.

Have a wonderful day today.

--
Malaika Sharp