[UbuntuWomen] Is it so strange for a woman to use linux?

Ryan Prior ryanprior at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 04:39:41 UTC 2008

I know no women who use Linux, even among those who have been
introduced to it via science research or computer science education.
They conform to the stereotype of Windows users who are too unwilling
to leave their apps and familiar environment to try something new. It
might be good enough for "hardcore" users, but not for them.

So, when I do meet a woman who uses Linux in a setting outside an Open
Source conference, I will be impressed despite myself -- the rarity of
the thing is a little overwhelming, even compared to the rarity of men
who use Linux.