[UbuntuWomen] Is it so strange for a woman to use linux?

Kathryn crunchyfroggie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 01:39:25 UTC 2008

Note to anyone who is trying Ubuntu on a Vista machine (dual boot)...

Use the Vista Disk Management tool to partition the existing
hard-drive - i.e. "shrink" your Vista partition to the desired size
(while logged into Vista) to create space for Ubuntu.  I've only heard
bad things from users who tried to resize the partition from outside
Vista, with the Ubuntu live cd/installer.

I successfully installed Gutsy to a partition that was created by
Vista... no problems and Vista was untouched.  The installer correctly
identified the new/empty partition, although I manually configured the
partitions to be certain.  Be wary of laptops where the "recovery cd"
is actually a partition in your machine.  GRUB listed Vista AND the
recovery partition as two identical entries: "Vista (Langhorn)...".  I
confirmed the identity of each listing and modified descriptions so
that I didn't boot to the recovery data (it screws your system up very
nicely - my friend found that out the hard way).