[UbuntuWomen] Is it so strange for a woman to use linux?

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue Mar 4 00:22:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 19:07 -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> I didn't know that! Cool! (Unfortunately the install button doesn't have
> any way of protecting data on the current machine though... at least I
> don't think it does...?)

I believe that you can resize windows partitions in the installer,
so you can keep it that way.

In hardy there will also be "wubi" which is a windows program
to install Ubuntu alongside windows, in windows, that sets up
a dual boot for you. I even think it allows you to use Add/Remove
applications in Windows to uninstall Ubuntu.

As if that wasn't enough, I didn't even install Ubuntu on the machine
I am typing on, it came with it preinstalled.

So, Ubuntu being hard to install is pretty much untrue now. However you
all still get my respect for choosing it and taking the plunge, which
is now more effort than the installation.

Thanks,

James