[UbuntuWomen] Is it so strange for a woman to use linux?

Silvia Bindelli silvia.bindelli at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 22:08:28 UTC 2008

Hi to all.
I'm a newbie in this group. I joined this mailing-list in November, but I've
been only a reader since then.

I'm writing now because today something "strange" happened to me, something
I'd like to have some opinions about.

I'm a software engineering student, in Italy. There are no many women in my
course (about this, I perfectly agree with Yolynne, when she sais
that "...being comfortable with *using* a device has nothing at all to do
with wanting to *program* or otherwise *modify* that device").
Most of my friends are boys, and linux-users. While among the few girls, only
one of my class-mates is using linux (at least, among the girls I know).

Today I was talking with my mentor, a woman, windows user. She told me
something like "the PhD students you met are very impressed by your linux
installation". I was a little surpraised about this and asked her "You mean,
the distribution? or KDE?". I know indeed that most of PhD students (those I
met are males) are using linux, but I don't know if they're using KDE or
gnome. "No no" she answered "about the fact that you are using linux!".

Well, I said "ah". I really don't know if I have to be "proud" of this, or
what else....any ideas?

Silvia