[UbuntuWomen] Article: "The Invasion of the Female Programmers (You Might Have to Work with One)"

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 25 14:31:45 UTC 2008

Posted in the #debian-women channel on oftc:

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/features/article.php/3755141/The+Invasion+of+the+Female+Programmers+(You+Might+Have+to+Work+with+One).htm

I especially like this bit, which feels right on to me:

"Also, we think it's sweet when you guys are on your best behavior for
us. However, we would rather everyone feel comfortable. It's an
awkward balance in the beginning. My tip: wait for the cue from her.
If she touches on some more controversial topics she's inviting you to
do so as well, just make sure your new lady feels that she can tell
you guys when to stop. Once you reach this balance you won't remember
what it was like without her – introducing a lady to the team creates
an awesome dynamic. "

Far too often I get the "But if there are women we can't joke around
anymore" - being aware of your peers and striking the appropriate
dynamic is what it's all about, it's not as hard as it seems, even for
the marginally socially inept. Indeed, in all the projects I'm
involved with it takes a bit of adjusting, but it tends to all work
out and is a lot of fun.

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua
http://www.princessleia.com