[UbuntuWomen] Event naming concern

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at princessleia.com
Fri Jul 25 22:02:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 4:52 PM, NurseGirl <thealp+ubuntu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Christina: I would probably initially focus on the legal and
> perception issues of something like Ubuntu (which is humanity for all,
> not just adults) tacitly winking and nodding towards potential issues
> of contributing to the delinquency of minors. Not only might people
> bring their kids, but there are many underage Ubuntu users, and some
> might either come to the event or might at least have read the
> planning steps and the invitation.
>
> While there's a lot of reasons why the name is also problematic in
> terms of being gender-inclusive, my guess is people will respond most
> quickly to that.

The organizers backed off the name after both Christina and I spoke up
about it (and Christina spoke to them privately). We had one person on
the list who didn't feel that he wanted to "hang out with people who
were so sensitive" to which I replied here:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-nj/2008-July/000451.html

Aside from this fellow, the guys on the team were very supportive of
our perspective and it was quite refreshing to be able to speak up and
be supported :)

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua
http://www.princessleia.com