[UbuntuWomen] Was: UW article for Fullcircle mag - Off topic comment.

bapoumba bapoumba at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 14 13:38:34 UTC 2008

Hello Jacinta,

I'd just like to emphasize one point:

On Jan 14, 2008 11:23 AM, Jacinta Richardson <jarich at perltraining.com.au> wrote:

> I personally am not part of the general Ubuntu community.  I've asked questions
> on the forums a couple of times, but I find the whole interface so amazingly
> unwieldy that I usually don't bother.  When my web searches return Ubuntu forum
> pages, I find that the majority of responses are "yeah, I'm having that problem
> too" followed by "Okay, it's fixed thanks".  I can't help but think the whole
> thing would be improved by a original author link to a web page somewhere else
> which gave a better description of the problem (the stuff the author learned as
> the forum went on) and a full answer of their solution (if any).  Further, I
> find some of the posters offensive.  Whether in their posts, signatures or just
> general tone.
>

> Years ago, had UW existed and had I felt UW was a place I could bring my
> questions to initially and get help in working out how to best ask the question,
> I would.  You don't get that kind of help on the forums, at least that I've seen....

The forums have grown huge, I mean HUGE ^^. We cannot read everything.
There is a report button bottom right of each post. Please use it
whenever you feel like it, especially if you find anything offensive.
It sends a report to the staff, with the description you entered in
the box. I can assure you that every report is read and dealt with.
When necessary, a discussion takes place among Staff to decide what to
do. Most of the times, mods and admins use their best judgment.
Staff is very sensitive to gender issues, and in a more general point
of view to integration, regardless of gender, age, religion, sexual
orientation, nationality, social condition, background, etc.
It also helps to keep UF a friendly place.

I'm sorry your experience has not been that good and useful. Whenever
I happen to run across a post like "It's fixed", I ask to post the
solution for others to benefit. This is what help forums are for, and
they are what we make of them :)

Cheers,
Isabelle.
--