[UbuntuWomen] Just an idea

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 00:38:18 UTC 2008

> How much more can they emphasize this? It's already in the FAQ, at the
> top of everything, in bold, and mentioned twice or more. And that
> section was there since about 8 months or more.
>
> "Ubuntu-Women is not about segregation of women, rather its goal is to
> integrate women as equals within the mainstream development going on in
> the Ubuntu world. Remember, membership is open to all and not based on
> gender alone." http://ubuntu-women.org/faq.html
>
> It's not like the name suggests a KKK-like klan or a man's club or
> something similar. Anyone who has a bit of current political knowledge
> would know, by now, that mainstream equal-rights movements are inclusive
> by default.

Nobody is saying that the team is *exclusive* to women, only that it might
be beneficial to *actively* encourage men to get involved.

Us "guys" (lol) are working on exactly that - getting lots more women
> involved in Ubuntu, and by extension in the Open Source community.  I'm
> kind of unclear on what you're suggesting here - that's what we're
> /already/ working on :)

Sorry my mentioning of getting more men involved with the team got confused
with my main idea which was supposed to be separate. The project would just
be a general effort that any Ubuntu member could be a part of not
specifically members of this team. It would just be a stronger push to all
Ubuntu users to get the women in their life (wives, girlfriends, friends,
through whatever means. Corny sample e-cards or whatever. I mean i'm not
sure exactly how it would work, i brought up the idea so that we could build
on it. It would certainly involve calling out to LoCo teams to pass on a
message to their members encouraging them to reach out to more women.