[UbuntuWomen] UW article for Fullcircle mag

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 11 23:28:35 UTC 2008

On 1/11/08, Emma Jane Hogbin <emmajane at xtrinsic.com> wrote:
> Elizabeth Bevilacqua wrote:
> > I very strongly object to having purely technical articles located in
> > a column about Ubuntu Women.
>
> I strongly object to your objection. I appreciate that 200 words isn't
> very many; however, I don't think there's any reason to ever shy away
> from being technical or discouraging UW members from being technical.

I wasn't discouraging women from being technical - as I explained in
the email I said we should submit our technical articles to the
broader magazine rather than segregating ourselves within a column
about the Ubuntu Women project (where I feel it's off-topic).

The entire point of the Ubuntu Women project is so we can get more
women involved in the general Ubuntu community. If we spend our time
staying away from the community by only contributing in "women spaces"
then we defeat the whole purpose of the project and add to the problem
of people treating us differently.

> Of course there's also no reason to not take over the entire magazine
> and write all the articles in all the sections! *grin*

Which is essentially what I was getting at. We want to encourage each
other to contribute directly to projects such as Full Circle so
eventually there will be lots of women writing/contributing/coding...

> I think you
> should at least include a reference in the column to new articles that
> have been written by UW members elsewhere in the publication. i.e. "see
> also Article XYZ written by community member ABC."

This seems perfectly reasonable.

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua
http://www.princessleia.com