[UbuntuWomen] What makes a video game "female friendly"?

Matthias Urlichs smurf at smurf.noris.de
Thu Feb 28 08:07:25 UTC 2008

Hi,

Kathryn:
> Not having to kill the enemies is a commendable idea, but that is typically
> the method by which a player can add to their skills and 'hit points'.

Well, hit points are accrued by ... hitting enemies.

Who the hell says that they *have* to be dead at the end?

Making them run away (thereby revealing the Secret Passage to the Dark
Lair, or whatever) is just as much fun and would, in real life, arguably
take even more skill than skewering them.

Contrariwise, running away yourself (and losing a few pieces of the
stuff you've accrued, which then needs to be replaced) if the enemy is
too strong is just as valid as dying and being resurrected with yet
another life someplace. (I thought that only works for cats, and *they*
obviously don't even get to keep their skills. :-P )

> I really like this thread of discussion.  I've never before met anyone
> involved in game design.  I'll stay keenly tuned to any further posts. :)

I'll readily second that.

Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf at smurf.noris.de
 - -
"If God lived on Earth, people would knock out all His windows."
					-- Yiddish saying