[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu Developer Week

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Wed Feb 13 19:29:39 UTC 2008

Hi Emma,

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 12:56 -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Tricia (and others),
>
> You might also be interested in this blog post:
> http://daniel.holba.ch/blog/?p=84
>
> which talks about the upcoming Ubuntu Developer Week:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek
>
> It looks like a fantastic introduction!!

I think this is going to be a great week. I would just
like to highlight the following sessions for those like Trisha
that were interested in learning how to get changes in to Ubuntu.

Debdiffs And How To Get Them Submitted (Daniel Holbach)
  - This is the best way to get your changes included, as it
    means that someone with upload access just needs to check
    over your work and then upload.

Patching Packages (Martin Pitt)
  - I believe Martin will talk about the mechanics of doing the
    patching, from 'apt-get source' onwards.

Packaging 101 (Daniel Holbach)
  - If you are not familiar with the way a package is put together
    then these sessions will help a lot.

If anyone is interested in getting more deeply involved with
development then I can recommend the following sessions:

First Steps On Contributing (MOTU/TODO & MOTU/TODO/Bugs) (Nicolas
Valcárcel)
  - Learn about what you can do to help out and get started.

MOTU Processes (Daniel Holbach)
  - Learn about all of the processes that make MOTU work. Aside
    from the mechanics of packaging this is the other large hurdle
    to overcome, so having it presented and being able to ask
    questions will be invaluable.

MOTU Q&A Session (Daniel Holbach)
  - An opportunity to ask any question you have, in an environment
    that won't consider any question stupid. Daniel is very
    friendly and helpful, and I think he enjoys helping people in
    these sessions.

There are also many other sessions that may interest you as well,
so take a look at the timetable.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek

Thanks,

James