[UbuntuWomen] Introducing myself!

Kathryn crunchyfroggie at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 09:29:17 UTC 2008

> Echoing Cathy, schools here (India) also use Windows extensively.
> Trying to get them to understand that "piracy != free" does not go
> down well with the management and the resistance to change is
> unusually high (maybe due to costs?) as compared to the teaching staff
> and students who (on average) i found were more accepting of change
> and eager to learn.

I completely agree.

I imagine many of the students and staff in my department at uni would
be willing to try Linux if they received adequate support.

Our department has a middle-aged man in charge of IT/computing and he
thinks he is god's gift to admin.  In reality he has archaic skills
and is particularly unhelpful - he pretends to be "confused" by our
requests for assistance because few talk the jargon.  He hides behind
condescension when he doesn't know something, and I'm sure he would
have all kinds of excuses for avoiding Linux.