[UbuntuWomen] Women learn more slowly, or can't learn, about computer science?

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 13:14:56 UTC 2008

Hi All,

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Ryan Prior <ryanprior at gmail.com> wrote:
> one like "I doubt it will be an obstacle - I think that women can learn
> computer science and I'm happy to give some individual assistance to this
> person."

Nicely put.

> It may be that I reacted in a sexist or macho or otherwise alienating way
> that I'm too obtuse to realize.

Not really, but I agree with Meg that communication styles wary a lot
between people, not just between genders. And then there is body
language, tone of delivery, etc...when coupled with technical subjects
makes it even tougher.

> Is that an experience others have had? Are
> many young women intimidated by their male peers?

My approach has always been "if you are ready to teach, am willing to
learn stuff I dont know". So generally speaking I am not intimidated
since I have skills they dont and vice-versa. Yet if some folks are
arrogant, I just move on and surround myself with people who
co-operate and share skills/knowledge.

> Is the opinion that women
> need to be treated differently in computer science education widespread?

I've only had male teachers (except in school*1 where we did have a
female maths teacher) and I didnt feel intimidated by them to not ask
questions.  Ofcourse some  of them were tough to talk to but I would
put that (less communicative attitude) down to an individual*2
character trait, not necessarily a gender thing imho.

*1, which was a co-ed medium rather than an all girls school (yeah, we
have those too in India).
*2, Maybe being less communicative or less friendly meant students
were less likely to approach them with questions, hence less
(thinking) work for the teacher.

> What should I do in the future if confronted with the same attitude?

Probably try these :
+ Gender aside, whilst teaching try to get feedback about your
teaching style (effective, understandable) from your students/class.
+ Talk and find out if the person objecting had past negative
experience, hence has a biased opinion.
+ Ask for a trial period of 10% of the total teaching hours and give
it your best shot. Take feedback from the student to show to your CS
dept.

my zero paise.

Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||