[UbuntuWomen] Use full real name policy

bapoumba at gmail.com bapoumba at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 14:27:08 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 00:05 +1000, Sarah Hobbs wrote:

> Vid Ayer wrote:
> > Hi Sarah,
> >
> > On 9/15/07, Sarah Hobbs <hobbsee at kubuntu.org> wrote:
> >> In the last few months, i've been getting harrassed from my real name on
> >> my IRC client, and my real name / picture on launchpad.  I've
> >
> > I experienced it too but I avoid pasting my mug online.
>
> Yeah, well.  It was while I was at UDS, and felt safe among the Ubuntu
> community that was there.  Must have had a brain freeze, and forgotten
> how big the community was.
>
> > Heh :) I was rejected too when I didnt sign the real name agreement.
> > So I sent a polite "Thanks but no thanks, I prefer using a nick
> > online" reply. Frankly, its not worth my time to get harassed for what
> > is essentially free labour. Its impossible to stop harassment online
> > (heck, it occurs in real life too) and I dont need to waste my time
> > fighting that.
>
> Indeed.  For the record, i was on the beta team before they put in the
> requirements for real name - although I doubt it's relevant.

Hello !

A related blog article by K.Mandla (mod on UF. If I am also in the mod
team, it's in great part thanks to K.Mandla):
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/09/16/whats-in-a-name-membership-i-think-not/

A choice to either use a real name or a nick should be available. A nick
is part of our internet identity, as Hobbsee pointed out a couple
messages ago, and these projects are developed on the Internet.

Cheers,

Isabelle.

--
bapoumba