[UbuntuWomen] Use full real name policy

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Sun Sep 16 05:05:57 UTC 2007

To: Ubuntu-Women
Cc: Linuxchix Grrtalk (FYI)

On 16/09/2007, at 2:57 AM, Vid Ayer wrote (in part):

> Heh :) I was rejected too when I didnt sign the real name agreement.
> So I sent a polite "Thanks but no thanks, I prefer using a nick
> online" reply. Frankly, its not worth my time to get harassed for what
> is essentially free labour. Its impossible to stop harassment online
> (heck, it occurs in real life too) and I dont need to waste my time
> fighting that.

Vid, while I agree that the situation is extremely difficult, I do
not agree that it is not worthwhile fighting it. It's not impossible
to stop harassment online: we "just" need to build the infrastructure.

I was discussing this with my husband recently. He, like a surprising
number of otherwise educated and aware guys, had the attitude, "What
harassment? I don't see it happening." Well, of course you don't...
it's not happening to you.

I mentioned how it if a guy walks up and propositions me on the
street, I can charge him with breaking the law, and (in Australia at
least), he won't get away with it. Online, we don't yet have a system
for reporting harassing behaviour and implementing consequences for it.

But we do have the beginnings of it in any Code of Conduct document
for a project. I believe Ubuntu has such a statement? If so, Ubuntu
members need to report each and every breach of that Code within the
Ubuntu project. Each person who is penalized within the project, or
actually banned from the project, for harassing women (for example),
sets a strong example for the rest.

Then we need to work for a Code of Conduct within every project,
especially the ones affecting a lot of people, because they have more
influence.

While it is true that reporting people to some ISPs [1] seems to have
limited utility, since they simply open a new account under a
different name, it is more difficult for them to build a personality
and contribution online within projects. Once you've worked hard to
become a key developer, for example, you won't want to lose that
status and have to start over.

It will take work, but I believe that work will be not only
worthwhile, but extremely valuable to women (and all marginalized
groups) online.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n

[1] Other ISPs take the ID situation much more seriously, so they
make it much more difficult to register accounts under other names.
Not all ISPs are slack about this.