[UbuntuWomen] philippine linux/f/oss group for women?

Pink pinktada at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 04:07:44 UTC 2007

Hi Everyone,

I've been in this group for quite a while. I am looking for F/OSS community
for women in our country. Do you know of any group or is any Filipina here
interested to start one? I saw the announcement from the Women in Java
community and I just felt an urge to ask if there is also an existing group
here.

As of now, I only know of 5 women programmer and most of them are not aware
of F/OSS at all. I wish to educate them because it is a beautiful world but
I am also a newbie at it. I learned about linux and F/OSS in general when I
attended a seminar last 2006 and our company installed linux as our OS.
That's how I began. My other coworkers are still using windows so I do not
know how to open this up but most of our tools are open source. In our team,
I am the one of the most who have experience so I could not really come to
them for help, it is them who come to me. We are working remotely so we
really do not meet each other. We meet once a year when there is a big
company event because most of us are working far from each other. It would
also be welcoming if I know more women involve in IT in our place. I wish I
am not alone who is looking for this group.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
~ pink