[UbuntuWomen] I told myself to be patient...

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 15:27:11 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 10/25/07, Selene Lee <1024kb at 163.com> wrote:

> joined a few teams and became an Ubuntero...

Great going :)

> But still not getting start. I need a Mentor badly right now but don't
> know where to find one. Kindly please, is there anyone who is willing to
> become my (1 to 1?) Mentor? Thank you very much!!

I saw your message on the Motu list. You would typically have to
define which area interests you (and that is a tough one as there are
so many interesting things to do :-))
for someone to be able to help you.

> How I wish that I can start contribution now! But I told myself to be
> patient...step by step, :-)
>
> Everyday I found myself making a small progress. But just feeling my
> paces are too slow!
>
> I have heavy job tasks in my company, and can not communicate with
> others in the daytime. I have no internet access at home. I have other
> pressure at home. I am a Chinese, so I have many hours of time
> difference with others... There seems to be tons of difficulties, but I
> will not give up! I feel thankful that others can accept me...

Being in India I have experienced the late nights, the time diff can
be (very) tough as most devs are in UK,US,AU and EU regions... so
yeah, I know what you mean its even more difficult to manage life,
work and volunteering :)

> Everyday I get up very early to run to my office, to send and receive
> the mailing lists and communicate with others, in the evening I dive
> into the books and documents about Ubuntu and development. I believe
> that I will become a good contributor soon!

I am sure you will :) As you said, probably you need to take small
steps.  If there is a local Ubuntu Loco group , find out if someone is
willing to help you with downloading packages as you dont have
internet at home. Then maybe find a task that will be simple (and a
mentor who can help guide you with it) and finish quickly so you dont
get overwhelmed at the outset or with being able to handle it.

--
Wishes,

Vid
http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/VidAyer || To lead people, walk behind