[UbuntuWomen] OT... sort of. Your scariest moment as an IT professional?

Cathy cathy at zareason.com
Thu Oct 18 16:50:47 UTC 2007

Esther,

Will this fit your article?

*~*~*~

I am working to supply schools with hardware to replace their eight to nine
year old desktops. Just seeing these old systems Frankensteined beyond
recognition is a horror story in itself, but my most scary moments have
been:

* Working with a school district the size of a college campus: I work my way
up the ladder until I finally get to talk to the head honcho in charge of IT
for the school. He explains that they just updated "all the school's
computers". I ask what they updated since I know that most classrooms have
old non-functional systems. His reply: "We got that new thing, you know with
the wires?" His hands are making big gestures so I ask, "You mean a
network?" His reply: "Yeah, that." This guy is in charge of all IT
decisions. I scream silently.

* Working with a small, poor inner-city school: The head honcho tells me
they have three new computers that are "great, but they don't work." I know
she won't know the specs off the top of her head so I ask if I can see them.
She leads me to a room with three Dell monitors sitting on the floor. "Here
they are." I scream silently and try to figure out a way to explain that
they won't "work' without a little more hardware.

* And one we have all experienced -- my kid is a better programmer than the
CS instructor at his school. *He* screams silently.

*~*~*~

--Cathy Malmrose, CEO ZaReason, Inc.
www.zareason.com