[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu4gilrs

bapoumba bapoumba at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 07:47:35 UTC 2007

On 9/28/07, Mariwal Jordão <mariwal at mariwal.net> wrote:

> ---
>
> For all:
> I'm sorry if my project upset/ofend you.
> I'm a Ubuntu fan, and my intention is just introduce "girls" in a wonderful
> world that Ubuntu have.
> It's more than a "pink" Ubuntu, is a new concept, recentlly I ready that in
> my country the girls are half of computers user. Ubuntu alread have all
> softwares, just click one button and was done. My students love this
> feature.
>

> Mariwal Jordao

Hello Mariwal :)

So you see that naming a project after a gender (ubuntu4girls), and
associating to this gender well established stereotypes (girls like
pink) triggers lots of discussion and disagreements on the
ubuntu-women mailing list (are you subscribed? If not, please see
[1]).

Why not rename your project with "pink" rather than "girls"? This way,
anyone who likes pink, whether male of female, younger or older, can
benefit :)

Regards,
Isabelle.

[1]