[UbuntuWomen] Making Ubuntu-for-all _work_

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Mon May 21 14:50:35 UTC 2007

Hello All,

On 5/21/07, bapoumba <bapoumba at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not quoting any part of the conversation, there would be too many ;-)
>
> @ Vyd : would you like to see Jacinta's mail copied as it is to the
> forums or a link to the archive for the whole discussion ? Or both ?

I am not a Forum user so I assume volunteers post the message verbatim
from the list. Is that how it works ? How do users there follow
discussions from the ubuntu lists? Do they read the archives?   It
would be much more nicer if we had more interoperability between the
two places (read users of a list cant automatically participate and
comment there and vice versa) so we could hear what folks there
think... but that is another wish list entirely.

> @ everyone : I understand the concerns about modifying the CoC.
> Based on a practical example, the offending pics posted on a blog and
> appearing on a Planet (ubuntu-fr,  I emailed u-w regarding this
> issue), based on my experience moderating the forums, based on the
> Community Council being the only real resource ultimately dealing with

True, the CC is busy as is and how many "victims" are actually willing
to go through the time-consuming process of proving the harassment and
why such things in a community set a negative atmosphere for women.
Sometimes people are not even willing to listen to them .... In
between all of this most women have already left the community so its
our loss finally.

> offenses, why not set up a group of referent people that users could
> go to ?
> This group should broadly represent all the aspects of community, IRC,
> ml, planets, forums, LP, others ? and could evaluate the situation,
> refer easily to the CC if need be, be some kind of mediators between
> members complains and real people who can take actions.

That is a positive suggestion and seems workable so I am taking this
to Jono for further input. Let us see where we go from there :)

> In my particular experience, I did email Jono and u-w, because I felt
> I _could_ email Jono and he _would_ listen to me. But what about basic
> users ? Do they even know who to refer to and who can take actions ?

Right,  If a user sees an group of people as inapproachable they are
less likely to complain and more likely to leave. They are after all
volunteering their time for the Ubuntu community and don't need to
take abuse in exchange for their time. That is a lacunae we need to
address.

Currently discussions on the list, irc, blogs, forums, etc become a
flame fest, with either the victim getting support (but nothing
concrete comes out of the whole thing) or not at all from peers. The
latter is worrisome since there are no consequences (as Jacinta
described in her mail) and needs to be worked on if we want to
increase the ratio of women here.

> The forums are particular in that there is already a staff crew that
> do it every day, there is a report button to report posts to staff,
> and all reports are taken very seriously. But what  about ml ? Who to
> refer to ? And Planets ?

On mailing lists its the list admins and on IRC its the channel ops
who are listed here - http://www.ubuntu-women.org/faq.html

For planets  - since we (UW) only aggregate (dont host) blogs, people
are free to voice their opinions but yet stick to the "be polite, be
respectful" unwritten rule, which ofcourse stands true for people who
tend to follow some rules when there are none...... I cant say
everyone practices this, else we would not be having this discussion
in the first place :)

Thanks,
Vid
http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/VidAyer