[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu, women and artwork...

Matthias Urlichs smurf at ubuntu.com
Fri May 4 10:27:48 UTC 2007

Hi,

priti patil:
> If ubuntu don't want to loose users at least in Indian
> scenario, better it should respect cultural values and
> traditions, GLOBALLY !!

While I agree that cleavage or naked bottoms are not appropriate,
the probem with cultural values is that there are so many of them.

The "normal" Ubuntu CD covers are offensive to some people (OMG "naked"
female faces!!!). (Or male faces for that matter, if you happen to be
Tuareg.)

So where do we, as a community, draw the line? Not have images of people
on the cover, when the whole idea of Ubuntu *is* about people?

IMHO the line should be one of *disrespect*. Thus, the cleavage picture
is not OK. Conversely, the Ubuntu Calendar pictures are, even though you
can see a lot more skin.

I'm not advocating that we push the Calendar down peoples' throats, of
course. After all, our main goal should be to fix bug#1...

Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf at smurf.noris.de