[UbuntuWomen] Some will never learn...

B.A. Lopez dinda at mac.com
Sat Mar 31 14:22:17 UTC 2007

My first reaction was "nah, I don't see any reason for U-W to go to
the CC with this."  After all Caroline did what she felt best for her
situation, as did Miriam, as did Lyz, Melissa and many others but
then I realized there is a definite pattern here that needs to be
recorded and "someone" (everyone) needs to be made aware of  it.
Lyz referenced this blog entry in her own blog and it really made me
rethink some things.  I used to read Fark.com regularly but I realize
Slashdot is often just as bad with the "This thread useless without
pics" comments whenever a woman posts or is referenced in an
article.  Here's an excerpt from Caveat Lector:

http://cavlec.yarinareth.net/archives/2007/03/30/what-some-folks-can-
do-if-they-choose/

"But the cycle can be broken. It just has to be broken by men. And, I
believe, it needs to be broken as early as possible in the cycle,
while the norms of a particular community are still forming. Once
they’ve crystallized such that pr0n jokes and “I’d hit that” are
acceptable, the battle is lost. That community is inevitably going to
drive away some woman sometime, and probably a lot of them. Moreover,
I have yet to see such a community reform itself."

That last line worries me a great deal b/c I think Ubuntu is still in
the formation stages.  But as to what to take to the CC, I'd like
your suggestions.  I told some folks in private email that this could
also just be an email to the CC making them aware of this pattern
rather than anyone having to attend a CC meeting.  I'm willing to do
both, either or even nothing if that is the general consensus.

Did we ever set a time for the next U-W IRC meeting for April 14/15?
I think we got a topic to discuss.  ;-)

regards,

Dinda