[UbuntuWomen] Some will never learn...

Mirjam Wäckerlin mirjam.waeckerlin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 12:21:21 UTC 2007

Thank you Liz for your mail that brings up some very important points
and also gives me the opportunity to clarify.

> > I know that it is annoying to step in and defend things which should
> > be self-evident, but if we don't do it, who else is going to do it?
>
> I know this email is probably just meant to be a "convince her to come,
> here are the reasons" but I want to make clear that she is not obligated
> to do anything. Unfortunately emails like this put guilt on the victim
> in a way that is very unfortunate, especially when we say things like
> "you have to consider" - no she doesn't. Just because we're women and we
> put up with a lot doesn't mean we ALWAYS have to be champions of our
> gender and spend time and energy fighting for all the women in the
> future who might encounter this problem. And it's not our fault if some
> women in the future gets into this mess and we didn't stand up, remember
> who the victim is :)

I am truly sorry if my mail sounded like "she is responsible to do
something" or "it's her own fault if she doesn't do anything about
it". That is definitely not what I wanted to say and I am not blaming
the victim. My mail was only meant as an _encouragement_ to raise her
voice, to tell her that a lot of people stand by her side and that
it's not a hopeless situation.

> Most of us have jobs, families and hobbies outside of the FOSS world.
> Our FOSS time is limited and mostly on a volunteer basis, if someone
> feels insulted and wants to leave the project they spend their valuable
> spare time on that's perfectly acceptable.

That is true. And I am happy that there are also people who step in to
stop this mechanism like matthew (http://mjg59.livejournal.com/).

> And in the end, in a case like this one where all the evidence is in
> archived email and blogs, I think the Ubuntu-Women team itself can
> easily send representatives to deal with this issue at the CC.

That is indeed a good idea and also what imho the team is existing for.

> We don't
> need to pull Caroline in directly, she doesn't need to exhaust herself
> defending herself, we can say "This is happening, she contributed to her
> LoCo and now has been driven away, it needs to stop" There were even
> some "little" things that she brought up like the LoCo leader calling
> everyone "chaps" that are a sadly subtle way of making us feel excluded
> and need to be brought to someone's attention. That's what this team is
> all about :)

I perfectly agree with you.
So what do you think (this question is directed to all subscribers)
should ubuntu-women go to CC to deal with this issue?

Mirjam