[UbuntuWomen] ubuntu-women Digest, Vol 17, Issue 10

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Mon Jun 18 22:15:55 UTC 2007

Op zaterdag 16-06-2007 om 02:53 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef suzana
garcia:
> > From: Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be>
> > I guess it has the same fatal flaw as epiphany: no support for
> > firefox/mozilla extensions.  That means there is no adblock (well,
> > epiphany has one, but it's broken), no web site debugging, no
> > fine-grained script & plugin blocking, no almost everything that keeps
> > browsing to be fun & safe...
> >
> > Oh, and keyword searches don't work (properly) in epiphany either, how's
> > that in Galeon?
> >

> > And personally, I think the idea behind the Epiphany bookmark system is
> > actually pretty good, but the UI for it is very bad (slow &
> > complicated).

> i think that if they were able to use Mozilla Firefox extensions, they
> would be.... Firefox :)

Well... Mozilla/Seamonkey, Flock, and some other browsers support them
too  ;-)

> One thing i love in Epiphany was that it was the first browser to
> recover from a crash, giving us the pages/tabs we were viewing :)
>
> Firefox added that nice feature after Epiphany and Galeon.

But there already was a Mozilla "extension" for that back in 2000 or
2001... (Long before Mozilla 1.0 was released.)

> Epiphany has Extension support.

True, but it has no useful extensions...  :-P

> Keyword searches are not working for me, but in a Debian Etch
> installation, they work very well. Even with the same configuration in
> About:Config. Strange...
> But it is not working too in Firefox...
> Do you have them working ?

By keyword searches I mean this:
<http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/smart-keywords.html>

It has always worked perfectly for me, and I couldn't live without it
anymore.

> Of course, Firefox has that special field next to the Address bar for
> searches.

I removed that, as it's just a waste of screen real estate...  :)

> Like i said, i like Epiphany and Galeon for their simplicity. And i feel
> they are a bit more lightweight then Firefox.

I have tried Epiphany for some time, as my P3 isn't exactly a powerful
system these days.  IME it uses almost as much memory as Firefox (300
MiB vs. 310 MiB isn't really a significant difference).

When I compare how much easier & faster using a Firefox (tweaked &
extended by me) is, I can't really see the relevance of that 10 MiB less
memory usage.

> I will be testing Seamonkey soon too. As a suite, it can be very
> practical. And the search feature is very good, using a side pane.

That has been in the Mozilla suite for 5 or 6 years now.  :)

--
Jan Claeys