[UbuntuWomen] Meeting Notes for Jan 11/12

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at princessleia.com
Sun Jan 14 14:25:40 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 08:43:03PM -0600, Belinda A. Lopez wrote:
> 1.) Contact and develop a path to work with the Artwork and Desktop
> Teams
> 2.) Begin a dialog about how to best develop our Ubuntu-Women resources

Sounds good.

> For item #2 we had some discussion/questions as to why the
> ubuntuwomen.org has a separate wiki than the ubuntu.com wiki.  It
> seems somewhat redundant.  Can someone help fill us in, how this
> developed?  and thoughts on whether we should try to merge the info
> into the main ubuntu wiki?

First a quick history lesson...

There was an Ubuntu-Women group on the forums, they also started the IRC
channel, back in 2005. They were not "blessed by Canonical" exactly,
pretty much just some guys and gals getting together and starting a
little group. Elizabeth Rodriguez (BinaryDigit) bought ubuntuwomen.org
and had a blog up that encouraged people to contribute.  (I wasn't
around for this, so anyone with more details or if I'm mistaken, please
jump in)

In late 2005 Vid Ayer began working to get an official Ubuntu-Women
project going in order to fully benefit from what Canonical could offer
such a group. She worked gain permission from the Council to have the
sponsored women's group and got the mailing list online in Feburary of
2006. Canonical purchased ubuntu-women.org/net/com and the site was set
up. Once Elizabeth Rodriguez learned of this she pointed her
ubuntuwomen.org to the same address so the efforts would not be
duplicated.

When I began working with the project in March the two parts of the
Ubuntu-Women project were still getting together. The IRC channel was
not yet approved as official. Vid worked with the Council to make it
official and I had to track down the previous owner, who is no longer
interested in the project, so we could get full control over it again.

As such, there was a lot of Ubuntu-Women stuff all over the place. I
explained it in this email to the list:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2006-March/000117.html

Excerpt:

	"Susana in IRC then posted some other links for me to check out,
	which quickly had my head spinning - do we have a central
	location for all the project documentation? A site I where I
	can point my friends to and say "This is the UbuntuWomen site"?

	As far as I can tell, the following pages are all ours:

	http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/UbuntuWomenFAQs
	https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomen
	http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76
	http://www.ubuntuwomen.org/

	Plus the IRC channel on freenode.

	Are there more?

	Should we be working to consolidate and integrate all of these?
	I think *at least* linking them would be helpful."

When Ubuntu-Women.org began to be developed it was decided to
consolidate as much as possible, which meant creating our own wiki and
our own planet. Plus, the wiki could be used as a bit of a "sandbox" for
women involved in the group to become comfortable with wiki editing and
development before stepping into the greater Ubuntu wiki world. Indeed,
I've tried to encourage everyone to sign up and at least create a
profile for themselves.

> Along the same line, how many folks have editing rights to the ubuntu-
> women.org website?  Is there a process in place for adding
> information or updating info?

2, Vid Ayer and Robin Sonefors.

I am not aware of a process, but the website is a "Product" (under Code)
on the Ubuntu-Women Launchpad team.

Lyz

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua // Lyz at PrincessLeia.com
http://www.princessleia.com