[UbuntuWomen] Mentoring & Courses Program - Status Update

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 26 13:08:33 UTC 2007

It's been a busy summer, but now as the weather cools down here in the
States I'm turning my attention back to our Mentoring & Courses
program.

== Taking Courses Forward ==

After some discussion with other women in the project we have plans
for moving forward.

We're currently exploring our options as far as teaming up more
closely with courses held within the Ubuntu community. This is
something that has been suggested in the past but we never saw a clear
path to doing this. Things are coming together now.

We're hoping to focus our own courses more on issues directly related
to women in the project, such as our upcoming IRC Op course which is
primarily focused at being an op in #Ubuntu-Women, and possibly a
course later this year by another woman in the group on effectively
handling bad behavior we encounter.

== IRC Op Course ==

The IRC Op course that I've promised since May is finally complete!
It's not very long, but my plan is to release it on the list in two
segments:

Wednesday August 29: Documentation and Op Rules
Wednesday September 5: Op Tools and Setting Bans

On list discussion is encouraged!

I will then plan for two sessions (to accommodate timezones) in IRC
with women who are interested in some more hands on experience. I have
yet to set the dates for these.

== Debian Packaging @ LinuxChix Courses ==

Miriam Ruiz is doing a Debian Packaging tutorial on the LinuxChix
Courses list in a few weeks. I'm very excited about this course, as a
package maintainer for Debian myself I see great value in developing
packages for Debian directly, and always encourage women in Ubuntu to
consider developing there, as the package will generally be pulled
into Ubuntu as well.

We'll provide more information about Miriam's course and how to sign
up when it becomes available.

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua
http://www.princessleia.com