[UbuntuWomen] Some will never learn...

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Mon Apr 2 10:23:40 UTC 2007

Caroline Ford wrote:
> http://www.jonobacon.org/?p=932
>
> This is Jono Bacon's take on the matter. Somebody whom I'm generally not
> very impressed with.
>
> Matthew Garrett and Mako have a *much* better understanding of the
> issues involved. Jono appears not to have read the Code of Conduct.
>
> Caroline

Caroline,

I know you're angry, I really do. I've been there before for different
but unfortunately related reasons. However, we do need to take a
rational look at things. That is all that was asked for in the blog post
you referred to, we need to provide a balanced perspective.

The blogosphere, related communities and the media are currently taking
note of what is going on, reading, following, waiting with baited breath
for the next twist to this story. Our conversation here for instance is
being played out in the public eye.

Having said that, I'd respectfully like to now ask you to please think
about what is being said.

On Thursday, I spoke over the issue, your issue, with Jono Bacon and the
Ubuntu-UK Contact, the two people you mentioned in your email on that
day. Neither were impressed with the comments you made about them in the
publicly viewable forum that is this list. They were both quite
disappointed with the way you spoke about them, without having consulted
either beforehand.

I am personally quite disappointed at the things you have said about
Jono, of lacking impartiality and not complying with the CoC. It may be
perceived that I am taking a side here. I am. I am taking the side of
someone who I've worked with intensively since September, and is someone
who I consider to be both a friend and a mentor.

Looking over the past week, and I say this as respectfully as it is
possible to do so, I can see that you yourself have not been entirely
respectful - having said things about others without having first
properly consulted them.

So please, and this is to everyone on the list, if you have a problem
with someone, talk to the person. If you have an issue with the way that
person dealt with it, please take it to someone who's position or job it
is to handle such disputes.

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper